The Power of Distribution
You have the power to change the world. I’m not saying that to be trite. Every single one of you has one of the most powerful tools known to man… An idea.
But, an idea is nearly powerless if it stays inside of you. That idea needs to spread. Which reminds me of Ferraris.
You know, Ferraris are safe in the garage, but that’s not what they were made for. Ideas are safe in your head, but someone else could probably benefit from hearing your idea.
Most people don’t have the courage or bravery to share their ideas. They are more focused on shielding themselves from criticism and judgment. I’ve found that the fear of looking or sounding stupid is the main reason that more people don’t share their ideas.
The question I encourage you to ask yourself: Is it more important to protect myself from criticism than it is to contribute something valuable to the world?
We all know the correct answer. But even still, sometimes that doesn’t suffice.
So, if that doesn’t work for me, I recite these truths to myself:
- Criticism says more about the person criticizing than it does about you.
- He who jumps into the void owes no explanation to those who watch.
- Criticizing an artist is more difficult with a paintbrush in your hand.
- People who gave up on their dreams often encourage others to do the same.
- If they don’t believe in themselves, they probably won’t believe in you.
- Ironic how people who have never taken a real risk are adamant to criticize those who do.
- Your life will continue to improve when you remember that you can’t and shouldn’t try to please everyone.
- People don’t think about you nearly as often as you think they do.
- Truly successful people don’t have time to criticize, we are all too busy working on our own meaningful work.
Response: Which of these truths is your favorite? I’d love to hear.
Final Thought: Next time you have an idea worth spreading… Share it. Use these tools to remind yourself that the full power of your idea can only be released when others benefit from it.
If you are reading this, I appreciate you.