My guess is, you and I have something in common. We like to WIN.
You like winning in sports, in business, in everything. I do too. It’s exhilarating!
I found in my athletic career and in my business life, that it is the little things often separate winners from losers. The difference is usually extremely miniscule from first place to second place.
It’s the everyday little things that your team will notice. It’s the little things that your team will appreciate. It’s the “little” contributions that will set you apart. It’s the little things that will make you an outlier in the normal spectrum.
A Few “Little” Ideas:
- Remember the names of their kids and their family members
- Make breakfast and coffee for the team occasionally
- Bring in a veggie tray or a fruit tray when a big project is completed (pay for it yourself)
- Make sure your team-mate can get home early when they need to catch their kid’s game
- Ask about life outside of work and listen to their answers
- Pray for them when they have challenges and when they don’t
- Write a hand-written thank you card
- Remember their birthday and give them a gift card to enjoy a lunch on you
- Ask how you can serve and support them
- Say THANK YOU and say it often
Come up with your own list of little things that you WILL bring to your team.
When You Do…
As you start to form habits of consistently applying these “little things” – you will become a winner in leadership. You will be an outlier in the normal spectrum.